Terrace, Bootham, York, YO30 7AG. Telephone 01904 622204 Fax 01904
Copyright 2008 ~ Bowman's Guesthouse
Access Statement -
Bowman's is located in a quiet residential street just outside the city
The house was built in 1870, and whilst we aim to meet the needs of all our
guests, there are some period features that might make access difficult for
people with limited mobility. Our rooms are located on the ground, first and
second floors of the building. Access to the upper floors is via a
A normally fit and able-bodied person will take about ten minutes to walk to
the city walls on the outskirts of the of the city centre and fifteen minutes to
walk into the city centre.
We have on-street parking and a free permit will be issued on arrival where
necessary. The distance to the front door depends on where you park your vehicle
on the road. It is a level walk with the usual kerb from the roadside onto the
All doors and the staircase are wider than average and all ceilings are high,
in-keeping with a Victorian terraced property. All rooms are above average size
for British houses and some of them are particularly large
The physical structure and layout of the building makes it unsuitable for
people with a serious mobility impairment.
We are located in a quiet residential street with plenty of on-street
parking. The nearest shops are approximately five hundred yards away. The
nearest bus stop is about three hundred yards away. Bus services are very
frequent, but as we are very close to the city centre, taxi fares usually work
out at little (if any) more than bus fares. Most able bodied guests therefore
walk into town. The railway station is less than a mile away. There are several
local taxi companies and we can make bookings in advance for you. Telephone
numbers for the taxi companies are also contained in your room information pack.
Some taxi companies also offer vehicles for guests with special
Menus and other printed matter can be provided in large print if required.
We regret that we do not have facilities to prepare documents in
This access statement is also available in all the welcome folders. A large
text version is available on request.
You can contact us by telephone, text, email or fax. Please see the
"Contact information" section of this document for full details.
Arrival and car parking
- Unlike most other hotels and guest houses, we do not have standard check-in
times. Rooms are usually ready by about lunchtime. It would help our planning,
however, if you could advise us of any arrival times before 3pm or after 7pm. If
your rooms are not ready when you arrive, you are welcome to drop off your
luggage and leave your vehicle while you visit the town. Parking is on the
street, a permit which is provided free, should be displayed in your car at all
- We provide assistance with luggage and carry luggage to the rooms as part of
our normal service for all guests.
Main entrance and reception
- There is one 30cm (12") step into the entrance lobby, followed by an
internal door into the main hall.
- The front door is usually closed. Please ring or knock on arrival. You will
then receive a key to the front door for unrestricted access.
- The reception area is on the same level as the hall.
Guest accomodation - public areas
- The hall leads into the reception room, breakfast room and our ground floor
- We do not have a lift to the upper floors.
- There are fourteen stairs to the landing between the ground floor and the
first floor guest rooms and a further fifteen stairs to the second floor guest
rooms. The stairs are particularly wide for a private house and there is a
handrail on one side of the stairs. The staircase is carpeted.
- The house is centrally heated 24/7 with individual thermostats on all
- All rooms, public areas and our private rooms are equipped with fire alarms
(acoustic warning signal) and there is at least one fire extinguisher on every
floor of the house. Procedures in the event of a fire are explained in each
hallway and room.
- There are no public telephones in the public area.
- Breakfast is served in the dining room on the ground floor.
- The dining room floor is original floorboards that have been sanded and
- We are not licenced for the sale of alcohol
- Our breakfast is much more comprehensive than you would normally expect from
a B&B. We can cater for all generally encountered dietry requirements with
ease. Please let us know at least 24 hours in advance if you need particular
ingredients or foods.
- Our bedrooms are located on the ground, first and second floors and are
- There are en-suite facilities in most rooms, consisting of a shower, bath,
WC and wash basin. Bathrooms are tiled
- Some bathrooms have single handed mixer taps, others independent hot and
- The hot water supply is thermostat controlled and supported by a state of
the art pressurisation system. A warm and consistent flow of water is therefore
ensured in the shower.
- Tea and coffee making facilities are provided in all rooms
- We also provide hair dryer, high class toiletries, sewing materials and a
selection of books.
- Our beds are normally made with duvets. All pillows are synthetic.
- We are happy to provide sheets and blankets if preferred. Please specify
before your arrival.
- There is plenty of wardrobe space in each bedroom.
- Additional seating is provided in all bedrooms
- There is a folder in each bedroom that contains further information about
the house and details of emergency contacts including doctors and
- Most rooms have digital TV's with about forty English speaking and
about one hundred foreign language channels. Remote controls are
always available in the rooms. All text services offered by the various channels
are available. The TV's are not connected to telephone lines.
- Details of room sizes, including a floor plan with an indication of bed
sizes are available on request.
- The rooms are well lit by a number of light sources.
- All rooms offer a free wireless broadband signal for your laptop.
- There is a small seating area to the front of the house with tables and
chairs which is accessed using the front door / step.
- Guests are welcome to enjoy our garden at all times.
- Fire extinguishers can be found in the entrance hall and on each landing.
There are additional fire extinguishers in the kitchen area.
- In the event of a fire an acoustic alarm will sound. Please advise us if you
have a hearing impairment and may not hear this.
- The building can be evacuated via the front door and also via a fire door
into the adjacent Park View Guesthouse, situated on the second floor
landing. Please gather by the front door so we can ensure no one is left inside
the house in the event of a fire.
- Smoking is NOT PERMITTED in the house or anywhere on the premises.
- Mobile phone reception is possible throughout the house and the surrounding
- Address: Bowman's Guesthouse, 33 Grosvenor Terrace,
Bootham, York. YO30 7AG.
- Telephone: +44(0)1904 622204
- Fax: +44(0)1904 624200
- Mobile phone: Our emergency mobile number is displayed on
each of the key fobs issued to you on arrival at our guesthouse.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: www.bowmansguesthouse.co.uk
Future plans for our house
- We have just made improvements to all areas, but if you have specific access
issues, please contact us so that we can examine if and how we can cater for
If you require further details or have any comments about the
services we provide, please do not hesitate to contact us.